Resetting your laptop could be as a result of having trying every fix you know to mend an error, malware or virus. It could also be that you simply want to have a clean state from having acquired a new laptop. Either way, resetting your laptop back to factory settings can be done by you. In this tutorial, we will be explaining how to factory reset an HP laptop.
Method 1: Factory reset your HP laptop through Windows Settings
This is for when you can still log on to your PC as always.
Go to the Windows search bar and type in “reset this PC” and click on the result.
Click Get started.
You have two options, “Keep my files” or “Remove everything”.
Keep my files
Don’t miss: How To Change Alexa’s Name And Voice
This is for when you want to retain your personal files, software, wallpaper and customizations.
- Select the keep my files option.
- Click on next
- Click on reset.
- Your PC then proceeds to re-install the OS and restart.
This is for when you want to get rid of some of your personal files, data, apps and configurations.
- To remove everything from your drive, click on “Only the drive where Windows is installed”
- Recycle your PC and remove all files from it by selecting All drives option.
- Delete your files by clicking on Just remove my files. Or if you want to clean the drive, click Remove files and clean the drive.
Method 2: Using Windows Recovery Environment to Factory Reset your HP Laptop
This is for when you can’t boot into your HP laptop as always. Simply follow the steps below:
- Turn off your HP laptop by using your power button.
- Disconnect all external devices (printers, USB drives, etc.) from your computer.
- Disconnect all recently added internal hardware.
- Press the Power button to switch your HP laptop on.
- As soon as unit starts booting, immediately press the F11 key. Repeatedly press it until you see the Choose an Option screen.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Click on Reset this PC.
- You can also choose to keep your files or to remove everything.
- Select Keep My Files when you want to retain your data. Once you click Reset, your operating system will be reinstalled. The process may take a while.
- Choose Remove Everything when you want to remove all your personal files.
- You can opt to remove everything solely on the drive where your operating system is installed. On the other hand, you can click All Drives when you do not want to retain any data.
- You can also fully clean the drive you selected or just remove your files.
- Click Reset.
Important Step after Factory Resetting your HP Laptop
There is an important step to take after having your hp laptop reset to its factory settings. You should install the latest drivers for your Operating System. It’s an automatic process but you can do it manually. Here’s the manual way:
- Launch Device Manager by pressing Windows and X keys simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Now, you must go through all the drivers under every category. Make sure you expand the contents of each category to ensure that you won’t miss any drivers.
- Right-click the driver, then select Properties from the list.
- Open the Driver tab, then click Update Driver.
- Choose the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option.
In case this message pops up:
“The best driver software for your device is already installed.”
It means you must go through one more step to ensure that all the correct drivers are installed on your computer. Manually search for the latest driver versions on the manufacturer’s website.
It is important that you download the ones that are compatible with your system. If you happen to download the wrong drivers, you might cause more harm than good to your computer. So take extra care while doing this.
All our fixes are carefully compiled and written, all you that is left for you is to follow them promptly. We hope this helps you in resetting you HP laptop.
- RTX 2080 Super Vs RTX 2080 Ti: Everything You Need To Know
- How Long Should A Good Laptop Last?
- How To Fix It When Discord Won’t Open