No matter the place or time you are in, the best travel router ensure you are connected to the world. In this tutorial, we highlight the best travel routers for internet in 2021.
The necessity to be connected to the Internet increases every day as we the day goes by.
As we depend on technology more, it seems as though a new species of human is being born. A species imbibed with the prowess of technology.
When traveling, it is also important to stay connected on the go. For this, you need to get a travel wifi router of which we have compiled this list.
What Is A Travel Router?
A travel router is a wireless range extender developed for people who are on the go and need to connect to the Internet when they are away from home. It also performs the functions of a wireless access point.
Don’t miss: 60 Hz vs 144 Hz: Does it Matter?
Just as you would use a home WiFi router to connect your devices to the Internet at home, you may also want to consider having a portable router to use when traveling.
Top Travel Routers In 2021 Compiled
There are several travel routers on the market today, which vary in price and features. All the below varieties would make for a decent choice, and the model you choose will depend on your budget and required features.
So here are our recent ideal recommendations:
1. TP-Link TL-WR902AC Router
If the size is the most significant factor in your travel router preference, look no further than the TP-Link TL-WR902AC wireless travel router.
This weighs just 2.1oz, is powered by USB, and supports the fast 802.11ac standard, which offers 433Mbps speeds.
This speed might not make much distinction in the real world but it is good to have prospects.
2. RAVPower FileHub (RP-WD009) AC750 Wireless Travel Router
Although not popular, its slim edges and half a pound weight makes it travels friendly.
This device connects easily to hotel wifi and has an ethernet port for situations where you’d rather use the hotel’s wired internet.
When it comes to power, the battery life is more than adequate, gratitude to a 6700 mAh external USB battery, even when streaming to many devices. It also works well for transferring files.
With this dual-band travel router, you can get those Instagram-worthy holiday photos and videos off your phone each night at the hotel, so you can take more Instagram-worthy vacation photos and videos. The full-size SD card slot is compatible with several formats.
Although not a hotspot, It’s a handy wifi network hub that you can connect to a mobile hotspot and then use it as a bridge for your other devices.
The downside is that it is exhausting to set up and has a slow transfer speed.
3. Netgear Nighthawk M1
If you are looking for a two in one product that is both a mobile hotspot and a travel router, the Netgear Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) is a choice to contemplate. This is for people who know they are going to be traveling in places without any Internet access.
Don’t miss: Here Are 11 Best YouTube Alternatives In 2021
Here are it’s features:
- Provision of a 4G LTE SIM card slot
- 5040mAH built-in battery which you can use to charge your phone.
- Supports media streaming
- Allows up to 20 devices connection
- Supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz 802.11ac wireless networks.
Note: Although it can work on multiple bands, it doesn’t support all of the bands available. Be sure to check its compatibility before purchasing. Your device should come unlocked and be able to work with any compatible SIM card.
4. GL.iNet GL AR300M Mini Travel Router
The GL.iNet router is one of the few travel routers that support VPN credentials. This means that if you have a VPN account for more secure browsing like NordVPN, all your devices will connect through that when using this device.
The reviews are mainly encouraging and it’s an adequate price for a travel router that supports 300Mbps and weighs under 2 oz, although it is not as fully featured as some of the other options. Still, if you are after a travel router with VPN support, this is a great option.
Also read: The Best PS1 Emulators For Android And PC
5. HooToo Tripmate Titan
The HooToo wireless travel router can convert a network that is wired to one that is wireless. Once set up for connecting to an available wifi, it’s easy to link multiple devices.
It also functions as network-attached storage if you plug in a flash drive or other external storage. What also makes the HooToo router one of the best portable wifi routers is its ability to function as a power bank for your devices while you’re on the road with its massive .
- Functions as a power bank with its 10,400mAh bank of power
- Supports 2.4 GHz Radio Frequency and has USB-A
- Micro USB port and Ethernet ports
- Weighs 9 ounces
6. Juplink EC3-750 Wi-Fi Router and Extender
- Coast effective
- Supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz with up to 300Mbps speeds on the 2.4Ghz channel and 433Mbps on the 5Ghz channel.
- Doubles as a home access point and travel router
- User friendly
- Comes in three plug types so you can use it in the USA, UK, and EU, and it plugs directly into a wall socket.
- Supports up to 15 devices.
- Decorative lights
7. RAVPower Filehub Travel Wireless Router N300
RAVPower Filehub Travel Wireless Router N300 has made it to our list because of the following features:
- Quite portable and weighs barely an ounce
- Capable of turning wired internet into a wifi network.
- Has an external battery that can be connected using a mini USB port.
- Can feature as a wifi strengthened
This is the satisfactory travel wireless router for those who don’t need many additions and like its portability. Works well for streaming photos and videos to a TV or laptop via built-in DLNA server.
8. TRENDnet Wireless N 150 Mbps Travel Wifi Router
Plugged into a wall outlet, this affordable travel wifi router also works as a wifi extender. Included are swappable plugs so you can use them in North America, the UK, and the rest of Europe.
I know what you are thinking, “Everything that uses electricity should be like this!”
- Data speed maximum is 150Mbps with a 2.4 GHz band connection
- Posseses three connection modes: router through ethernet or wifi, repeater and AP.
- Assign whichever connection mode you need by sliding the button on the side.
- Presence of ethernet port and a couple of USB ports–one for sharing files and one for powering your other small devices. There is no streaming, however.
- Power bank and file-sharing capabilities
Plugin where you need it always or throw it in your bag for your road warrior days.
9. GL.iNET GL-AR150 Mini Travel
As the name implies, a mini, quite portable. Features include:
- Built-in VPN support.
- Dual-ethernet ports.
- Has an external 2bdi antenna.
- Speed of 150Mbps
Pondering on bringing your voice-controlled virtual assistant (Alexa, Google Assistant) along on your travels for wake-up calls, music, reminders, and more. Pretty sick.
10. TP-LINK M7350 4G LTE Mobile WiFi Wireless Router / Hotspot TP-LINK M7350 LTE MiFi
This appears last but not the least in quality. Its features are:
- Comes with a 2550mAh battery.
- 2.4GHz and 5GHz dual band wifi.
- Supports 4G LTE
- Not as small as the others listed but quite featherweight.
- Download speed of 150Mbps
The component also has a screen that notifies you of speed and data usage as it’s functioning which is a pretty useful feature. It does not give you any diagnostics about your signal though.
For reconfigurations to make it the best travel router for your needs, you’ll have to use its web interface as there’s no developed mobile app. Transfer files with the MicroSD card slot or USB port.
- Samsung Galaxy S10 vs Galaxy Note 9: Everything You Need To Know
- iPhone 7 Vs iPhone 11: Should You Upgrade?
- Otterbox Defender Vs. Commuter Cases Comparison