In this article, you will learn how to make Gmail display in dark mode on desktop, Android and iOS devices.
Dark mode has become an incredibly popular feature these past few years, and more and more websites are jumping on its bandwagon.
One of these websites is Gmail. Through its “Themes” menu, Gmail lets you display the entire site in dark mode. This may feel easier on your eyes at night, as well as give your inbox a sleek and polished look.
The Themes menu isn’t just for activating dark mode, though. It lets you pick from dozens of different display options — including patterned designs, and even your own photos.
Here’s how to turn on dark mode in Gmail, using any internet browser on a Mac or PC.
How to make Gmail display in dark mode on desktop by changing your theme
- Open Gmail on your Mac or PC, and from any page, click the gear icon in the top-right.
- Click “Themes”
- This will open a pop-up with options. Scroll past the preloaded photos and option to upload your own picture. You’ll find “Dark” listed as the first option to the right of the “Default” color scheme — it’ll likely just look like a black box. Click it, and then click “Save”
Gmail will now be in dark mode on your desktop.
How to turn on dark mode in Gmail on iOS devices
If you’ve set your iPhone to use the new system-wide dark mode (by going to Settings, then Display & Brightness, and then tapping Dark) Gmail will apply the theme by default once you receive the update from Google.
If you’re using iOS 13’s Light appearance, however, here’s how to turn it on in Gmail.
- In the Gmail app, tap the hamburger icon in the top left.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list, and tap Settings.
- Tap Theme.
- Tap Dark.
You can also enable the dark theme in iOS 11 and 12 by going to Gmail’s Settings and selecting Dark Theme.
How to turn on dark mode in Gmail on Android devices
First make sure you have the latest version of the Gmail app installed by visiting its page on the Google Play Store and checking for an ‘Update’ button. If no such button appears, you’re good to go.
If you have Android 10’s system-wide dark theme enabled, the app should switch to its new look automatically. Alternatively, you can activate it manually by tapping the menu icon on the top left, scrolling down and tapping ‘Settings’, then ‘General settings’. Here you can change Gmail’s theme to light, dark, or system default.
Unfortunately, dark mode isn’t available if you’re using Android Pie or earlier, but you can still use Gmail in dark mode if you visit Gmail.com in a web browser with dark mode activated. This option is available in Chrome for Android and Firefox Preview.
If you found this article helpful, kindly leave a comment in the comment section.
- How To Easily Import iPhone Contacts Into Gmail
- Gmail Not Working On iPhone? Fix Now!
- How To Enable Google Chrome Flags to Test Beta Features
- Using iTunes Dark Mode on Windows or Mac Easily
- How To Enable Dark Mode On YouTube