How To Fix Face ID Not Working On iPhone XR
Face ID that’s not working on the iPhone XR is among the various post-update errors reported after installing the latest iOS 13.3 update. Read on and check how you can possibly address this issue.
Face ID allows users to unlock iPhone device, access third-party apps, and authenticate App Store and iTunes purchases without entering a device passcode, but by simply looking at the phone’s TrueDepth (front) camera. This amazing feature is only available to the latest iPhones versions from iPhone X up to Apple’s latest flagship–iPhone 12. To be able to take advantage of this feature, your iPhone device must be running with the latest iOS version and of course, Face ID is properly set-up.
Apple recently rolled out iOS 13.3 update which offers fix patches for current iOS issues and provides additional iOS features. However, new errors have also been reported by iOS users that they’ve been introduced with and one of which is the Face ID that is not working. In this post, we have lined-up set of troubleshooting procedures to fix Face ID that has stopped working after the new system implementation. If you are among the iPhone XR users who are having this kind of issue, better read this article further and learn how to deal with the problem on your end.
Take note that there are instances when Face ID will not work because the phone will require you to enter your passcode.
COPYRIGHT_NOVA: Published on https://www.novabach.com/how-to-fix-face-id-not-working-on-iphone-xr/ by Daniel Barrett on 2022-05-29T21:54:47.000Z
- The device has just been turned on or restarted.
- The device hasn’t been unlocked for more than 48 hours.
- The passcode hasn’t been used to unlock the device in the last six and a half days and Face ID hasn’t unlocked the device in the last 4 hours.
- The device has received a remote lock command.
- After five unsuccessful attempts to match a face.
- After initiating power off/Emergency SOS by pressing and holding either volume button and the side button simultaneously for 2 seconds.
The first thing you will need to do in this case is to update your phone software. This way you can be sure that the software your phone is using has fewer bugs when compared to the older version. This will usually fix the problem if it is caused by a software glitch.
Also read: iPhone Speaker Not Working? Fix Now!
I recommend that you setup the Face ID feature of your phone again. You will have to reset the Face ID first by going to settings, then click on Face ID and passcode, and then reset face id.
To setup Face ID
- Go to Settings – Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
- Tap Set Up Face ID.
- Make sure that you’re holding your device in portrait orientation, position your face in front of your device, and tap Get Started.
- Position your face inside the frame and gently move your head to complete the circle. If you’re unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
- When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
- Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
- Tap Done.
Restarting your iPhone XR will eliminate minor system glitches that hinder Face ID to work properly. This is deemed to be the simplest yet effective solution to fix iOS issues including Face ID that has stopped working. If you wish to give this a try on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Side or Power button and either Volume button simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release both buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears on your iPhone XR screen.
- Drag the power off slider to the right to shut down your iPhone XR.
- Then after at least 30 seconds, press and hold the Side or Power button again and release when the Apple logo appears.
Alternatively, you can also give your iPhone XR a quick and clean start by doing a force restart. This method is considered a better option especially if your phone’s screen display is not properly responding to tap and swipe commands. Nevertheless, cache files from possible corrupted apps that are saved in your phone’s memory will be dumped out after the process. Thus, the Face ID not working issue should be remedied using this method if the problem is tied to these junk files. To force restart your iPhone XR, here are the steps:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Wait until your iPhone XR boots up completely. Then try unlocking your iPhone using Face ID to check if the issue has been rectified. If not, move on to the next troubleshooting guide.
If you are using a phone case or a screen protector then this might affect the way the TrueDepth camera works. Try removing this first then check if the issue gets fixed.
Make sure nothing is covering your face and that you are facing the TrueDepth camera
While Face ID has been designed to work even if you are using sunglasses there are instances when certain sunglasses prevent certain light from passing through. Try removing your sunglasses then check if the issue gets fixed. You should also make sure that you are facing the TrueDepth camera at a distance of around 10 to 20 inches.
Also read: iPhone Keeps Dropping Calls? Fix It Now
If you still fail to fix Face ID not working issue on your iPhone XR, we recommend you to delete your Face ID and set up a new one. To do so, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, go to Settings.
- Then select Face ID and Passcode.
- Scroll down to and tap on Reset Face ID to remove or delete previously stored IDs.
After deleting the ID’s, restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR to refresh its system. Then set up Face ID again using these steps:
- Go to Settings, and then select Face ID & Passcode.
- Enter your device passcode when prompted.
- Then tap on Set Up Face ID.
- Hold your iPhone in portrait orientation and then position your device in front of the camera.
- Then tap on Get Started and position your face inside the frame and slowly move your head to complete the circle for face scanning and then tap Continue.
- Then slowly move your head again to complete the circle for the second time and then tap Done.
Don’t forget to check if Face ID is already working again afterwards.
In case the issue still persists then it’s time to reset your phone. You will need to backup your phone data before performing this step.
- Connect your iPhone XR to the computer using the supplied USB or Lightning cable.
- Open iTunes on the computer and wait for it to recognize your iPhone.
- Select your iPhone XR from the list of devices in iTunes.
- Click the option to backup your iPhone XR to iCloud or to iTunes on this computer, if necessary.
- Then click the Restore button to reset your device.
- If prompted, click Restore again to confirm action.
- Wait until iTunes is finished downloading and installing the new software for your iPhone XR then set up your device as new.
Face ID still not working after attempting all the troubleshooting steps above? It’s time to contact Apple Support to discuss the issue. Further assistance and recommendations should be provided by them, so make sure to provide the detailed information to when the problem started and the things you did in an attempt to fix the Face ID issue on your end.