How to Delete a Google Review or Dispute a Review of Your Business
Knowing how to delete a Google review can be useful for brands with negative online reviews on their Google My Business (GMB) listing. With customer reviews data showing 57.5% of all reviews are on Google, even a few negative pieces of feedback can blemish your online reputation, especially if the review stands out in search results. Here’s how to do it.
How to Delete a Google Review you Wrote
You’ll have to use the desktop version of your Google account rather than a mobile device to delete your review.
- Go to maps.google.com.
- Click the Menu button (three stacked lines in the top left corner of the screen).
- Click “Your Contributions,” then go to “Reviews.”
- Click the three dots next to the review you want to delete, and select “Delete Review.”
How to Delete a Google Review If It’s Fake or Violates Google Guidelines
COPYRIGHT_NOVA: Published on https://www.novabach.com/i/how-to-delete-a-google-review-or-dispute-a-review-of-your-business/ by Daniel Barrett on 2022-05-21T12:42:47.000Z
Sadly, it’s not uncommon for a business to receive fake reviews on Google. While Google has measures to remove fake and spammy reviews, you can also take steps to delete a Google review if you think it isn’t authentic, relevant, or valuable.
If you’re sure that its contents violate the Google review policy, you can try to delete the Google review by flagging it:
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- Choose your business location and click Reviews from the Menu.
- Find the review you’d like to flag, click the 3-dot Menu, then click Flag as inappropriate.
How to Delete a Google Review By Asking the Reviewer to Remove It
Anyone with a Google account can edit or delete a review they have written. But your customers might not know how exactly they can do this. So share these instructions to make it easy for them.
- The customer should open Google Maps on their computer or device.
- In the top left, click Menu (3 horizontal lines).
- Look for Your contributions, click, and then choose Reviews.
- Next to their review of your business, click More (3 dots).
- Choose an option (edit or delete) and follow the instructions.
Remember that it can take several days for the review to be removed once you’ve flagged it. If your business is hospitality-based, it’s also important to be aware that third-party hotel reviews can’t be flagged, regardless of the review’s circumstances. Additionally, Google says it routinely checks for spam in reviews and automatically removes any spam-filled reviews.
According to the company, “Google doesn’t get involved when merchants and customers disagree about facts, since there’s no reliable way to discern who’s right about a particular customer experience.” So it’s a good idea to review Google’s review policies before flagging thoroughly. A few prohibited reviews include spam and fake content, off-topic reviews, illegal content, and sexually explicit and offensive content.