Do you want to block someone on Google Hangouts and don’t know how to go about it? This article explains how to block and unblock someone on Google Hangouts.
Google Hangouts makes online meetings and conversations a breeze, but sometimes you need space — and other times, you need to keep people from being able to reach you.
How to Block on Google Hangouts Mobile
Luckily, you can block people in Google Hangouts web and the Android and iOS apps. Read on for instructions on blocking and unblocking on all supported devices.
If you’re using Hangouts on Android or iOS, know that you can block anyone who bothers you or gives you trouble. The instructions are the same for iOS and Android devices:
- First, launch the Hangouts app on your mobile device.
- Open a conversation window.
- Select More in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Then, tap on People.
- Next, choose who you want to block and tap Block.
- Finally, confirm your action with Block.
How to Block on Google Hangouts Web
Assuming you know how to use Google Hangouts, this should be a straightforward process:
- Go to hangouts.google.com.
- Select the person you want to block from your hangouts via the “Conversations” tab in the left sidebar (it looks like a text message icon) or the “Contacts” section of that sidebar (that icon looks like two people) — a chat window will then open.
- In the chat window, select the gear icon.
- Select “Block & Report.”
- If desired, tick the box also to report the person for abuse.
- Click “Confirm” to block them.
If you decide to unblock this person, later on, you’d be able to do so by going into your Google Hangouts settings, located in the “More” section of the left sidebar, which looks like three dots.
Click the “Settings” option, select “Blocked people,” and then click “Unblock” next to the person you want to unblock.
Before you start blocking people on Google Hangouts, you should know how it works. First and foremost, you will not be able to receive any calls or messages from a contact you block. You will block them on Google Hangouts and Google Chat, Google Voice, and Google Photos.
If you decide to unblock someone, you’ll unblock them on other services. You won’t be able to message or call a blocked person either. Calls and messages will be enabled both ways on other messaging apps and regular phone calls.