How To Use Your iPad And Mac As A Phone
For those times when your iPhone isn’t handy, your iPad and Mac can handle phone calls, thanks to a feature known as iPhone Cellular Calls. All you need to do is set up the feature on your phone, and any other compatible Apple devices you want to use.
iPhone Cellular Calls is part of Apple’s Continuity system, which is designed to sync and share certain capabilities across iOS, iPadOS, Apple Watch, and Mac, and also includes Handoff and Universal Clipboard.
- A common way to make calls on an iPad is with Facetime but you can also use your iPhone’s cell number or the Messages app.
- iPhone calls on iPad sync the two devices and rout calls through your iPhone even without an Apple ID.
- You can also use third-party apps like Skype or Talkatone with Google Voice.
This article explains how to use Facetime, the Messages app, and third-party apps to make calls.
COPYRIGHT_NOVA: Published on https://www.novabach.com/how-to-use-your-ipad-and-mac-as-a-phone/ by Daniel Barrett on 2022-05-30T12:27:33.000Z
Here’s how to set it up and start taking calls without touching your phone.
Before you can enlist your iPad or Mac as a phone, these devices must meet certain requirements. Your iPhone must be running iOS 8.1 or later and be activated with a carrier, while your iPad must have at least iOS 8, or iPadOS.
Your Mac must be on OS X Yosemite or later. If you have a Mac mini or Mac Pro, it must also have an external microphone or headset to use this feature.
Each device must be signed into iCloud and FaceTime using the same Apple ID. They must also have Wi-Fi enabled and be connected to the same network using either Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
Now you need to allow calls to come through on different devices, so turn to your trusty iPhone first. Open Settings > Phone > Calls on Other Devices. Turn on the switch next to “Allow Calls on Other Devices.”
If you have more than one other supported Apple device, such as an iPad and a Mac, you can choose the devices on which you want to allow calls.
If you want to takes calls from a tablet, segue to your iPad. Open Settings > FaceTime and turn on the switch next to Calls From iPhone.
If you want to take calls from the computer, open the FaceTime app on your Mac. Go to FaceTime > Preferences. At the Settings screen, check the box for Calls From iPhone.
Now when a call comes into your iPhone, it will ring on your iPad as well. Tap the Accept button to pick up the call on your iPad and start talking. On your Mac, a small notification pops up alerting you to the incoming call. Click the Accept button to pick up the call on your computer.
To make a phone call from your iPad to a specific contact, open the Contacts app. Select the contact and tap the number you wish to call. The calling screen pops up while you wait for the person to answer.
You can dial a number manually on your iPad by opening the FaceTime app. Tap the + icon and type the phone number. Make sure the call type is set to Audio and tap the Audio button to place the call.
Call a contact from your Mac by opening the Contacts app. Select the contact and then hover your mouse over the number you want to call. Click the resulting phone icon to place the call.
To manually dial a number on your Mac, open the FaceTime app and type the number. Make sure the call is set to audio and then click the Audio button to make the call.
The easiest way to make phone calls with your iPad is by using the video conferencing software that comes with the iPad called FaceTime. FaceTime uses your Apple ID to place phone calls to anyone who also has an Apple ID, which is anyone who owns an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or Mac computer.
These calls are free, so even if you’re using your iPhone, you won’t be using your minutes. You can even receive calls on FaceTime by having people contact the email address associated with your Apple ID. These instructions apply to devices running iOS 10 and later.
Here’s how to use FaceTime.
- Open the FaceTime app. If FaceTime isn’t already on your iPad, you can download it from the App Store for free.
- Tap the plus sign (+) to choose someone to call from your contacts. You can include multiple contacts in your call.
- You can also start typing the name of a contact on the keyboard, and FaceTime will complete it automatically.
- When you’ve selected everyone you want to contact, press one of the call buttons to make an Audio (voice-only) or Video call.
- FaceTime will place the call.
Also read: How To Make FaceTime Calls From Apple Watch
You can also make FaceTime calls to your contacts through the Messages app.
Just like in the FaceTime app, you can only call people whose Apple IDs connect to their phone numbers.
- Open the Messages app.
- If you have a conversation open with the person you want to contact, tap that thread. Otherwise, you’ll need to start a new one.
- Tap the contact’s image at the top of the screen.
- Tap FaceTime to start a video call, or audio to start an audio-only call.
- When your call is over, tap the end button (video) or the red button (audio-only).