How to Sign Out of Gmail with One Tap
This article explains how to sign out of Gmail on a desktop, in a mobile browser and on the mobile app.
Before Signing out, it is expedient to note that creating a backup is ultimately necessary. This is to prevent data loss and double-check on saved data.
Staying logged in to Gmail on a device that others use could expose your account to unsanctioned access. Anyone who has access to your Gmail can reset passwords and cause other problems. To avoid these problems, sign out of Gmail when you’re not using it.
If you forget to sign out after you use Gmail on someone else’s device, do it remotely. You can also stop a device from using your Gmail account if it gets stolen or lost.
COPYRIGHT_NOVA: Published on https://www.novabach.com/how-to-sign-out-of-gmail/ by Daniel Barrett on 2022-07-30T19:48:58.000Z
- Log out of Gmail on a computer in two simple steps.
- In the upper-right corner of Gmail, select your profile photo or initials.
- At the bottom of the menu, select Sign out.
- To sign out of another account you’re logged into, choose Sign out of all accounts.
Note: This signs you out of all your Gmail accounts, so you may need to log in to the one you want to access.
If you use Gmail through the mobile website, the steps for logging out are slightly different.
- From Gmail.com, in the upper-left corner of the screen, tap the three horizontally stacked lines.
- At the top of the screen, tap your email address.
- On the bottom of the screen, tap Sign out of all accounts. Optionally, you can remove the Gmail accounts from the list of accounts that were signed in. After signing out, tap Remove to select the accounts you want to delete from the page.
Signing out of Gmail from the mobile app requires that you remove the account from your phone or tablet. Deleting the app does not delete your Gmail account. It only removes it from your phone until you log back in.
- From the Gmail app, tap the image in the upper-right corner.
- Select Manage accounts.
- Tap the switch next to the account you want to turn off to deactivate it temporarily.
- Return to this screen and tap the switch again to turn the account back on.
Also read: 8 Best Android File Manager Apps For 2021
There isn’t a way to sign out of Gmail using the main account on an Android. However, from the Your devices area of your Google account, you can prevent the device from accessing your entire Google account, including your Gmail. This is useful if you lost the device or forgot to log out of a device you can no longer access.
- From a computer, sign in to your Gmail account.
- Select your Google profile picture near the upper-right corner of the page.
- Click Manage your Google Account.
Scroll down to Your devices, then select Manage devices.
- Select the More Menu for the device you want to block from accessing your Gmail account.
- Select Sign out. Confirm your decision in the next window.
You aren’t limited to using just one Gmail login on your Android phone. You can add additional accounts through the Gmail app. To do so, tap the menu button in the Gmail app, then tap the downward-facing arrow next to your username. Choose “Add Account” and follow the directions to enter the username and password for the account and verify your identity as needed.
Afterward, you’ll be able to click the downward arrow next to your username to switch between email accounts as you which, keeping all of your accounts updated.
If you intend to sell your phone, trade it in or give it away, you may want to clear your personal data from the phone so that nobody else can access it once it’s no longer in your hands.
You will want to back up or copy any data from the phone you want to save. Then, go to the Settings app from the home screen, tap the “System” menu and choose “Reset.” Select “Factory data reset” and then tap “Reset phone” to continue. Click “Erase everything” and wait for a few minutes for the reset process to finish.
Your Google account and other data will be removed from the phone.