Steam is a highly reliable application that allows users to easily access and buy a variety of immersive games of different genres. In this guide, how to easily fix “Steam Won’t Open” issue.
However, despite it being reliable, some users still experience errors and malfunctions like being unable to open Steam on Windows 10, or Steam not opening from taskbar, although they can see the icon. Some people also report that the program boots in Big Picture Mode and logs them in, however, a blank screen appears afterward. Some times, Steam game says running but won’t open. In this case, Steam is already running but it is not responding. You can end the process in Task Manager.
Don’t miss: How To Easily Cancel Xbox Game Pass
Whenever the app won’t open, it displays error messages like:
- Steam client won’t open.
- Steam app won’t open.
- Steam won’t open on PC. This error shows if there’s a conflicting software installed that prevents Steam from opening.
- Steam won’t open windows 7, 10, or Windows 8.
- Tera won’t open on steam
Before going on to the solutions,firstly, check whether the service of the game client is down. This will help you determine whether it is a temporary issue from the service end. To do this, go to steamstat.us website and see the info according to your region. It is also worth noting that Steam has scheduled maintenance routine that typically takes place every Tuesday around 1-3 p.m. Pacific time. During this time, some outages are expected.
Also read: How To Easily Sync Your PS4 Controller
How To Fix Steam Not Opening Or Launching On Windows
- Use a command by opening the Run dialog box. You can do this by pressing the Windows key + R together or type in “Run in Cortana” on the Windows menu. Then, type in this command :
- fix steam
- After that, press enter and this dialog will appear from Steam. Finally, press OK.
- The command can also be used to refresh the installation of the Steam app.
- Configure your PC’s settings to start in Safe Mode by typing in “System configuration” into your search (Windows menu). Click on System configuration when it shows up. Then wait for the dialog to open and go to the boot tab.
- From the options on the bottom left side of the dialog, select “Safe Boot” and underneath it select “Network”. After this, restart your computer.
- Scan Windows system to discover potential errors, then download “Restoro PC Repair Tool”. Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues, then click “Repair All” to fix issues with Patented Technologies.
- After that, run a PC Scan with Restoro Repair Tool to find errors causing security problems and slowdowns. After the scan is complete, the repair process will replace damaged files with fresh Windows files and components.
- Reinstall Steam: This process can be somehow tiring as you will have to redownload all of your games, then install them. Although, you will not have to rebuy the games, because they are already part of your Steam account. You can choose to move the steamapps folder from the Steam directory and save it in another place on your HDD, that is if you do not want go through the stress of redownloading and reinstalling. After moving the folder, go ahead to uninstall Steam and delete the remaining location of your previous installation completely.
- Then, reinstall Steam. You can now copy the steamapps folder back into the new location of your Steam directory after reinstalling.
- Restart Steam Client by Ipening Task Manager, then go to Processes tab, and search for Steam-related processes. Click each of them and select “End Task”. Repeat until you end all of them are ended.
- Restart computer
- Unplug external devices. It could be a new keyboard, headphones, speakers or some other gadgets.
- Update Windows by clicking on Windows icon, then select the Gear icon which represents Settings. Next, Go to “Update & Security”. Here, click “Check For Updates”. Updates will then start installing automatically; you must restart your computer afterwards. Simply click on Windows icon > Power button > Restart.
- Update Date & Time Settings
- Restart Your Router: To begin, shut down your computer. Then, go to your router and shut it down. Once all the lights go off, sit back and wait 2 or 3 minutes before restarting the router and wait another 2 or 3 minutes until all the lights will be back on.
- Uninstall third-party apps that prevent Steam from opening. Typical programs that might cause the problem are Antivirus software, Anti-spyware software, VPNs, Firewalls, P2P Clients, IP Filtering Programs, Download Accelerators,
- FTP/Web Server Applications etc.
- Try connecting to a different network.
- Turn off Compatibility Mode (Windows 7). Compatibility Runner interferes with Steam and might prevent it from opening. Therefore, use this method if you’re dealing with Steam won’t open Windows 7 issue.
Don’t miss: HDMI 2.1 – Why The New Cable Standard Matters
Note: This method involves editing Windows Registry, which is NOT recommended for inexperienced PC users.
Nothing Happens When I Click “Play” On Steam. Why?
In such case, we recommend verifying integrity of game cache. Simply go to game Properties > Local Files and click Verify integrity of game files.
How To Fix Steam Not Opening Or Launching On Mac
- Modify the settings by hitting Command + Space to open Spotlight, then type in “Security”. Choose Security & Privacy under System Preferences. From the left panel, click on “Accessibility” and scroll until you find Steam. Click on the bottom left padlock and type in your password to be able to make changes.
- Make sure that Steam is enabled and has that blue boxes ticked.
- Close the window and open Steam. If Steam is not on the list, press the + button and add it.
- Make sure you have Steam enabled in the Accessibility area, then reinstall it without losing any games already installed by navigationg to the following location:
- ~/Application Support/Library/Steam
- Once the Steam folder is opened, delete the folder named “Steam.AppBundle”. Then simply launch Steam like you normally would. That’s all!
- The 25 Best Gacha Games To Kick Off Your Addiction
- Here Are Top 29 Best Nintendo Switch RPGs
- How To Use The PS4 Dualshock 4 Controller On A PC