How to Screen Share Between Mac, iPhone& iPad
Screen sharing allows you to access someone else’s computer without physically being next to it. There’s plenty of problems that can be solved by sharing your screen and various situations when you might need it.
When it comes to professional collaboration and working with a remote team, screen sharing can save you time and effort when reviewing your work or making edits. If you keep getting the same error message over and over again, you can share your screen with a coworker when asking for help.
There are several different ways to screen share your iPhone, your iPad, and your Mac. You even can enable remote computer access! We’ll go through all the possibilities including the easiest option of all, FaceTime screen share, as well as screen sharing and control with iMessage, and screen sharing Mac to Mac. Let’s get started.
For a Mac user, FaceTime is the go-to app when it comes to video calls. While it might not be the best video conferencing app out there, Apple users still choose FaceTime over other tools. It’s easy to use, it provides great quality, and your contacts are always just a few clicks away.
If you’re using a physical webcam, you can set it up facing your computer screen instead of your face.
That way, your contacts will get to see your screen but with very limited functionality – not to mention the quality of such a video session. So if you need to properly share your screen on FaceTime so that your contacts see your actions online and are able to take over when needed, choose the following method instead.
For free screen sharing software, Zoom is pretty great. It’s our number one recommended way to set up screen sharing on an iPad, iPhone, Mac or PC. With Zoom you can mirror your iPhone to an iPad, or to a Mac, or visa versa, or any combination of the above. It could not be more flexible and easy to share your screen.
Zoom is a third-party video-conferencing app designed to let large groups do video meetings. It has excellent screen sharing features, and it lets you sign in with a free account.
Both ends of the call need to have the Zoom app installed. You can get the app from the iOS App Store, and the Mac or PC versions from the Zoom.uswebsite. We will demonstrate the process on the iPhone.
- Open the Zoom app.
- Tap New Meeting.
- You may toggle Video On as you see fit. You won’t need to use your iPhone’s cameras for screen sharing to work.
- Then tap Start a Meeting. This will begin a web meeting.
- Once the conference starts, tap Participants. The menu for these options automatically hides when you aren’t using it. Just tap the screen to get it back.
- Tap Invite to invite your audience into the meeting.
- Choose a method to send your invitation. I’ll demonstrate with Send a Message.
- This opens the Messages app. Choose who you want to send it too, then tap the send arrow. They will receive a link that will automatically open their Zoom app.
- Back in the Zoom app, tap the Share Content icon.
Even when there’s no internet access, you can use the built-in Screen Sharing app to connect to another Mac remotely.
To launch Screen Sharing, open the Spotlight search and type in screen sharing.
The app will ask you for a hostname or an Apple ID of the user you want to connect to. Using the Apple ID you can connect to their computer directly. Just type their Apple ID in and click Enter. Leave the rest for your Mac.
The only downside with this method is that there’s no space for messaging or discussing the issues during the screen sharing session. However, you can use Facetime or Messages for that.
If you want to share your iPhone screen on your Mac computer, you will find that the easiest way is with your standard charging cable that came with your iPhone. Once you’ve done these steps, you can then share your Mac screen with any of the other methods, such as Facebook Messenger Screen Share or Messages Screen Share, and since your Mac screen will show your iPhone screen, you’re audience will see both. To share your iPhone or iPad screen to your Mac, you simply:
- Plug your iPhone or iPad in to the computer using the charging cable and a USB port.
- Open QuickTime Player, which comes with all Mac computers.
- Go to the File menu, and select New Movie Recording.
- On the new movie window, look next to the record button for a tiny down arrow. Click there to get a menu of audio and video recording sources.
- Select your iPhone from the drop-down menu.
- Now you can see your iPhone’s screen on your Mac’s screen.
You can record with QuickTime if you’d like, or you can leave your QuickTime window open and then share your Mac screen using one of the methods below.
You can share your screen via the Messages app that also comes pre-installed on Mac. There’s no need to download anything, or create any new accounts. Just follow these steps:
- Open the Messages app and sign in with your Apple ID account.
- Find the chat with the user that you want to share your screen with. Alternatively, start a new chat with them.
- In the upper right corner of the chat, find the Details button and click on it.
- Tap on the double screen icon.
- Now you can choose from Invite to Share My Screen and Ask to Share Screen.
You can also find the screen sharing options right on top of the chat. Click on the recipient name and choose to share your screen from the drop down menu.
If you want to make it more interactive, you can invite them to control your computer or ask to access theirs.
To access someone else’s Mac, wait until they’re sharing their screen with you, find the mouse icon in the upper left corner of the screen and click on it.
If someone wants to access your Mac: share your screen with the user, find the double screen icon in the menu and click on it.
To revoke control, click on the double screen icon again and disable that function.