Performing a factory reset on your Mac without backup will result in data loss. Losing data on your Mac is always frustrating, regardless of its reasons.
This article will explain the most efficient and safest way to reset MacBook Pro without losing data.
To start the Time Machine backup process, connect an external storage drive to your MacBook, and follow the steps mentioned below.
- When a window with how to use this drive pops up, select Use as Backup Disk.
- If there’s no pop-up window, search for Time Machine and click on Select Backup Disk.
- Select the backup preference and then follow the on-screen process. The Backup will be created.
Note:The initial Time Machine backup will take some time, so do not assume that the backup has been crashed or frozen. Wait patiently.
To reset your MacBook Pro without losing data, follow the steps below:
This is a crucial first step to preserving your important data and information. You can make a copy of all of the data contained on your MacBook Pro, and you should do so before performing a reset.
You can backup all of your data quickly onto an external hard drive. By using the Time Machine program, you can easily make a copy of all of your information and store it on an external hard drive.
- First, sign out of any apps in use or always signed in, such as iTunes, iMessage, and iCloud.
- Next, go to the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen and click restart.
- While your computer is restarting and you see the black screen with the white Apple logo, hold down the Command button and R on the keypad simultaneously. This will open the Disk Utility window and allow you to erase all of the information.
- Select Disk Utility and click on Continue.
- Select your startup disk and click on Erase, which will be present at the top toolbar
- Select the format as MAC OS Extended (Journaled) and click on Erase.
After performing this factory reset, you can then restore your data to the computer. Plug your external drive where you saved your data into your MacBook Pro.
- Search for Migration Assistant and click on Continue.
- Select From a Mac, Time Machine backup, or startup disk and click on Continue.
- Click on the applications, programs, and files you want to backup and click on Continue.
Once this process is complete, all the files that were present before resetting your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air will be restored.