How to find someone on Whatsapp
If you want to chat with someone you know on WhatsApp, doing so is relatively simple, as long as you have their phone number.
In order to find a WhatsApp user, the user in question must be in your phone’s contacts; you cannot search for WhatsApp users who aren’t already in your contacts.
Here’s how to find someone on WhatsApp in the Chat section.
How to find someone on WhatsApp using your iPhone
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Tap the “Chats” icon in the bottom menu bar, which looks like two overlapped speech bubbles.
- In the upper-right hand corner of the Chats section, tap the “Compose” button to launch a new chat, which will automatically bring up your list of contacts.
- Tap the Search bar at the top of the screen and begin typing the name of the person you want to find, then tap on the contact’s name once you find them.
- A new chat will launch with the contact and will remain in your active chat list until you delete the conversation.
Step 1: Open WhatsApp. Tap the WhatsApp app icon, which resembles a white speech bubble and phone receiver on a green background.
If you’re not automatically logged in, follow instructions to register your phone number.
Step 2: Tap Chats. It’s near the the top of the screen. This will open the Chats page.
If WhatsApp opens to a conversation, first tap the “Back” button in the top-left corner of the screen.
Step 3: Tap the “New Chat” button. It’s the round, green, speech bubble-shaped icon in the lower-right corner of the screen. This will bring up a list of contacts.
All of your contacts who are on WhatsApp will be listed on the contacts page.
Step 4: Search for a contact. Scroll down through the list of people on this page until you find the person with whom you want to talk.
You can also just type a contact’s name in the search field at the top of the screen.
If a contact is not on WhatsApp, scroll to the bottom of the list and tap Invite Friends to WhatsApp, select how you’d like to send the invitation, tap the contacts you’d like to invite, and tap Done at the bottom of the screen.
Select a contact. Tap the name of a contact with whom you want to chat, voice call, or video call. This will open a chat with them, allowing you to initiate a conversation.