How to Dial An Extension on iPhone
Do you call a particular contact often, like your spouse or parent, and need to add an extension each time? They might work in an office or institution where they don’t have a direct line and you need that extension to reach them.
If need to call a company and you have the extension for the person you’re trying to reach, use this article to automatically dial the extension on your iPhone, without needing to hear any automated prompts.
How to Dial an Extension on iPhone
- Open the Phone app.
- Dial the main number you’re calling.
- Then hold down the * (asterisk) until a comma appears.
- Now enter the extension number after the comma.
Tap the green Call button and you’ll dial straight to the person you’re trying to reach.
When you do this, make sure you hold down the * long enough to turn it into a comma. The comma acts as a pause and lets your phone know it’s dialing an extension.
How to Save Extensions in Your iPhone Contacts
If you plan to regularly call an extension, you can save it in your Contacts. That way, the next time you go to dial the extension, it will already be saved as it needs to be dialed. Here’s how to save a number with the extension to your Contacts on iPhone:
- Open your Phone app and select Contacts or open your Contacts app on iPhone.
- Find the contact number that you want to add an extension to and tap on it.
- Tap Edit in the upper right corner.
- Tap the number you’re adding the extension to, or tap the plus sign next to add phone to add a new phone number to the contact.
- You’ll notice the keyboard at the bottom of your screen is all numbers with a special characters tab in the lower left corner, tap the special characters.
- With the cursor at the end of the phone number, tap Pause to insert a comma.
- Now enter the extension.
- Tap Done to save.
Recommended For You: How to stop iPhone calls going straight to voicemail