If you are using a Google WIFI router, then you may find that you need to reset it at some point. Perhaps you would like to change the WIFI password but cannot log into the router, or you just want to return it. Here is a step by step guide on how to reset any Google WIFI router safely as recommended by the manufacturer.
You cannot reset the router if it is not plugged in and turned on. Make sure the router is plugged into a power outlet and fully turned on before you attempt to reset it. You can tell the status of the router by the light strip at the center.
There are two easy ways you can reset your Google router. You can reset it using the reset button on the router or using the Google Home app.
Use the Hardware Reset Button
- Unplug the Google Wi-Fi unit’s power cable.
- Begin holding down the reset button on the back of the device.
- With the button depressed, reconnect the power source.
- When the unit flashes white, then blue, release the button.
If the hardware continues to flash blue for another half minute and then the lights turn solid blue, the reset is underway.
Once the blue flashing begins again, the device is reset and can be used like new or sent away.
Reset the Router Using the Home App
This method is recommended because it not only wipes the router but also removes it from the device list and erases its data from Google cloud storage. However, you can only use the app if the router is still functioning properly and connected to the app through the network.
Resetting your Google WIFI router from the Home app is a straightforward process.
- Open the Google Home app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Find the WIFI router on the list of devices and tap on it. Tap on “settings”.
- Located the option labeled “Factory reset WIFI point and tap on it then choose “factory to reset”. The app will ask you if you are sure. Tap yes to initiate the reset process. The router indicator will turn solid yellow until the reset process is complete.
- How To Fix It When Nintendo Switch Won’t Connect To Wi-Fi
- How to Cast an Oculus Quest to a TV
- The Best Modem & Router For Gaming
- The Best Travel Routers For Internet In 2021
- Best Ways To Reset A Home Network Router