YouTube is the world’s most popular video platform, so consuming data is not something new. This article will show how Youtube Data consumption works, how to reduce it, and provide you with tips on managing your data usage on the app.
How Much Data Does YouTube Use?
YouTube data usage depends on the quality of the video you stream. Note that The mobile apps offer multiple levels of quality, from a low of 144p to 2160p (4K quality), that is, if your device supports it.
YouTube’s streaming help page contains information on recommended video bitrates for various streaming quality options.
Don’t miss: How To Enable Dark Mode On YouTube
YouTube Data Consumption:
For 720p quality and above, YouTube supports videos at 60FPS (frames per second) instead of the standard 30FPS. As you’d expect, a higher FPS results in smoother video and more data usage.
- 144p: No bitrate provided by YouTube.
- 240p: 225MB per hour
- 360p: 315MB per hour
- 480p: 562.5MB per hour
- 720p at 30FPS: 1237.5MB (1.24GB) per hour
- 720p at 60FPS: 1856.25MB (1.86GB) per hour
- 1080p at 30FPS: 2.03GB per hour
- 1080p at 60FPS: 3.04GB per hour
- 1440p (2K) at 30FPS: 4.28GB per hour
- 1440p (2K) at 60FPS: 6.08GB per hour
- 2160p (4K) at 30FPS: 10.58GB per hour
- 2160p (4K) at 60FPS: 15.98GB per hour
How to Track Your Data Usage on YouTube on Android and iOS
- Head to Settings
- Network & Internet
- Mobile network.
- You’ll see how much data you’ve used in the current billing cycle.
- Proceed to Tap App data usage to see a breakdown by the app.
- In this list, locate YouTube and select it. You’ll see a breakdown of its data usage for the current cycle.
- Go to Settings
- Find the app, and you’ll see its data usage.
- Scroll down and hit Reset Statistics to reset the period.
How to Reduce Data Usage on YouTube
By Monitoring Video Quality While Watching
- Tap the three-dot Menu button While watching any video to see the current Quality.
- You can select Auto to set the quality based on network speed or select it manually if you’re trying to save data.
- Try 480p for a good balance between data usage and video quality.
Restrict HD to Wi-Fi Only
- Tap your profile picture in the top-right of YouTube
- Select Settings (followed by General if you’re using Android).
- If you’re using Android, you’ll find an option called Limit mobile data usage; enable it.
- Once you have this enabled, it won’t play videos any higher than 480p on mobile data.
Also read: How To Use The YouTube Video Manager
Turn Off Video Autoplay
Locate the Autoplay slider in the Up next section below any video and Disable it.
Disable Muted Playback In YouTube Feeds
- Tap your profile picture and go to Settings.
- On Android, head to General and tap Muted playback in feeds.
- Select Off or Wi-Fi only to avoid wasting data.
- This option is at Settings > Muted playback & previews in feeds on iPhone.
Try the Premium
YouTube Premium is YouTube’s paid subscription service. Among other benefits such as removing ads. Premium allows you to download videos offline to your phone for viewing anywhere.
- How to Download YouTube Videos
- 15 BEST Video Downloader Chrome Extension for YouTube
- Here Are 11 Best YouTube Alternatives In 2022