How to Cast an Oculus Quest to a TV – Virtual reality can sometimes feel like a solitary experience, self-contained within a headset. But your Oculus Quest (and Quest 2 ) lets you cast what you see to a television, where anyone else can see what you are seeing. Casting is straightforward, and you can use any TV with a built-in Chromecast app or a Chromecast device that’s plugged into the TV.
Most smart TVs should allow you to do this, but some will require extra equipment in order to use this feature. A few simple buttons will have you casting your Oculus Quest 2 experience onto the TV in no time so everyone can be involved in your gameplay.
Choose Your Method Of Casting
There are two different ways in which you can cast your best games onto the TV. However, the constant between both methods is that you will need Chromecast or some other casting device. This could mean you have a smart TV with Chromecast built into it, or you have bought a physical device and connected it to your TV.
The supported casting devices that can be paired with your Oculus Quest 2 include:
- Google Chromecast
- Google Home Hub
- NVIDIA Shield
- NVIDIA Shield TV
How to cast Oculus Quest to a TV using your phone
- Make sure that your phone is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Oculus Quest headset.
- Turn on the Oculus Quest headset and the TV.
- Start the Oculus app on your phone.
- Tap the Cast icon at the top right of the screen – it’s the one shaped like a headset with Wi-Fi waves.
- If this is your first time using the casting feature, you might need to grant permission to your local Wi-Fi network.
- The app should have selected your headset in the top “Cast From” section. If there’s more than one headset listed, be sure you select your headset.
- In the “Cast To” section, tap your TV or Chromecast device. If it doesn’t appear, make sure your TV is on, the Chromecast is enabled, and then tap “Tap to search for other devices.”
- At the bottom of the screen, tap “Start.” The Quest’s display will be cast to the TV.
Casting From The Oculus Quest 2 Headset
- Turn on your Oculus Quest 2 Headset and the TV. Ensure that both of your devices are ready to share and receive data so there are no hiccups along the way.
- Press the white circle on your controller then locate the Home Menu on the bottom of the screen. It appears as a tab across the bottom of your screen.
- Click on the “Share” button. This looks like your typical social media share button with three buttons and lines connecting them.
- Click on “Cast”. This will be on the far right of the bar that appears over your Home Menu. It will be next to other options like Record Video, Take Photo, or Go Live, which you might want to use to stream gameplay from new games coming out in 2021.
- Select your TV or casting device from the window that appears. The available devices will load up in front of you, but if your device does not appear make sure you have it enabled.
- Click “Next” and then a notification will tell you that the casting has begun
This is the simplest method of casting to your TV as it doesn’t require any outside devices, besides the one you need to enable casting to your TV.
How To Stop Casting
If the gameplay becomes too intense you can always stop casting to your TV. And if you are stopping it directly from your headset you just need to bring up your menu, select the “Share” button and then choose the option “Stop Casting.”
If you started casting from your mobile app you can go back to the casting screen by clicking on the rectangle with the lines coming off it in the upper right-hand corner. Next, simply select the button at the bottom of the screen to stop casting.
- Oculus Rift S Vs HTC Vive Cosmos: Which VR Headset Wins
- Is PlayStation Virtual Reality (PSVR) Worth It?
- HTC Vive Pro Vs HTC Vive: Everything You Need To Know