If you use Windows 10 with a machine with a built-in camera or fingerprint reader, you may have come across the term “Windows Hello” while setting up sign-in methods. But what does it mean? Let’s find out. In this guide, we will be explaining what is Windows Hello Sign-In on Windows 10?.
What Is Windows Hello?
Windows Hello is a way of logging into your Windows-powered devices without a traditional password. That is, you can log in using your fingerprints, an iris scan, or facial recognition from your webcam to access your Windows account. It also allows using a PIN (personal identification number) as an alternative to a password or for times when biometric login methods fail.
Asides from the fact that you don’t need to start trying to remember your password, Windows Hello is more secure too, as you don’t have to use a simple easy-to-guess password for your laptop or desktop machine but will rely on the various biometric options instead.
To use this cool feature, your machine must either include built-in support for biometric logins or you’ll need to install a compatible biometric login device such as a webcam or a fingerprint reader. By enabling Windows Hello, Windows 10’s login by password will automatically be disabled, although your account password may still be necessary to access some system functions.
Don’t miss: How to Use the Command Prompt in Windows 10
Is Windows Hello Safe?
Using your fingerprint, face, or iris to log in with “enterprise-grade” security makes hackers or other nefarious individuals can steal your right because people can’t watch you enter your pin or password and get access that way. Also, a photo of your face can’t be used to trick the system. Windows Hello is made to only work for real people.
How To Set It Up
- Click the Windows key.
- Click the settings cog in the bottom left.
- Under Windows settings click on “Accounts”.
- From the left-hand navigation, click “sign-in options”.
- At the top of the Sign-in options page, you’ll see a list of Windows Hello sign-in methods listed under the “Manage how you sign in to your device” section. Here’s what they mean.
- Windows Hello Face allows you to log in with facial recognition. A special camera that supports this feature is required.
- Windows Hello Fingerprint allows you to log in with a fingerprint reader, which can either be built-in on your laptop or a USB fingerprint reader that you plugin.
- Windows Hello PIN sets up a PIN that serves as a backup in case biometric logins fail. It can also be used as your main login option instead of a password.
- Security Key allows you to sign in with a security key, which is a small physical device that either plug into your USB port or is read by a special RFID reader device.
- If you see “Password” and “Picture Password” options, they are not part of Hello. It means that Windows Hello is not currently enabled because if it’s enabled, you won’t be able to log in with a password.
- To change the settings for any of them, click the option and follow the instructions. If you also want to disable any one of the Windows Hello sign-in methods, you can click its item in the list, and select “Remove.” You can also locate the switch labeled “Require Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts” and flip it to “Off.”
- Now, click to select from the various Windows Hello options. You can choose to sign in using a camera, fingerprint, password, or another method.
- Follow the set-up process you’ll be prompted to depending on your choice of sign-in.
Also read: How To Update Your Computer’s BIOS
Why Is Windows Hello Camera Not Working?
If you discover that Windows Hello won’t work with your camera, you’ll still have the option to sign in via a PIN instead. However, you can fix your camera with these steps:
1.Reset facial recognition: Go to the sign-in settings, click to remove facial recognition, and click to “reset” those settings. Then, reboot your machine and set it up again.
2. Download drivers and updates: From the relevant manufacturer, download the most recent drivers for your webcam. Also, check Windows Update settings by clicking the Windows key and search “check for updates”, then ensure your machine has the latest updates installed.
3. Run the troubleshooter by clicking the start menu followed by the settings cog, then go to ” Update and Security” and click “Troubleshoot”. From there you can then run the hardware and devices troubleshooter.
If your device is Windows Hello capable, you can share it with other people in your household and also set it up for each user.
To do so, open account settings by following the same steps as above. Click on “family and other users” and then go through the steps to add them to your device. Once that’s done, log out of your account and log in to the other account, and get the other person run through the Windows Hello setup process.
- How To Reset A Forgotten Windows 10 Password
- What Is The Latest Version Of Mac OS
- How To Resize Photos In Windows 10 Using Images App