What is Samsung Secure Folder and How Can You Make the Most Out of it?
What Is Samsung Secure Folder?
Originally launched as part of Samsung Knox, Samsung Secure Folder is an encrypted space on your smartphone to save files, images, videos, and apps for your eyes only. It comes pre-installed on many of Samsung’s modern smartphones. It is also listed on the Play Store, compatible with any Samsung device running Android 7.0 Nougat or higher. This guide will show you what the Samsung secure folder is and how you can make the most out of it.
How The Secure Folder Works
It is a detail on Samsung devices that allows you to keep apps and files out of sight, giving you peace of mind that other people won’t see them while using your device. You can add an existing app on your phone to your Secure Folder to create a copy of the app. This app will not have any of your existing files, cache, and logins, so it’s essentially a new app installation. You can also add new apps from the Galaxy Store or Play Store to install them only in the Secure Folder.
Don’t miss: How to take a Screenshot with Samsung Galaxy Note 3
COPYRIGHT_NOVA: Published on https://www.novabach.com/i/what-is-samsung-secure-folder/ by Daniel Barrett on 2022-06-07T12:41:30.000Z
How To Set Up Samsung Secure Folder
Before enabling the Secure Folder on your device, check if your device is compatible first. The feature works with Samsung Galaxy Knox-enabled phones running Android 7.0 Nougat and above. Here are examples of phones that are compatible with the feature:
- Galaxy S Series, ranging from the S6 up to the S10.
- Galaxy Note Series, ranging from Note 8 to Note 10.
- Galaxy Fold.
- Galaxy A Series, including the A20, A50, A70, and A90.
- Galaxy Tab S Series, ranging from the S3.
You’ll need a Samsung account to set up and use Samsung Secure Folder. If it doesn’t come pre-installed on your phone, you’ll need to download it from the play store. Then, open the app drawer, locate the app, and launch it.
It will prompt you to log in to your Samsung account. If you haven’t already made one, make one now. Otherwise, log into your account.
Wait for the device to create your Secure Folder. This process may take up to a minute. Then, select a lock screen type for your Secure Folder. Then, depending on your device, you can choose a pattern, a PIN, or a password and enable your device’s built-in fingerprint biometrics, and you’re good to go.
You may have to enable the service first by going to Settings > Lock screen and security > Secure Folder on some devices. Then sign in and choose the authentication method you want to use, and the Samsung Secure Folder icon will show up in the app drawer and on your home screen.
Also read: How To Fix Samsung Note 8 Not Charging
How To Add Files And Apps To Samsung Secure Folder
Using the app, follow these steps:
- Launch the Samsung Secure Folder app.
- Tap the “Add files option” on top of the screen.
- Choose whether you want to add images, videos, documents, or audio.
- Select the files you want to add to.
- Select “Samsung Secure Folder” and tap Done.
- Choose whether you want to copy or move the files.
You can also move data to Secure Folder from Samsung’s native apps like My Files, Gallery, Voice Recorder, and Contacts. To use this method, simply follow these steps:
Don’t miss: What Is Google Pay: Everything You Need To Know
- Launch one of Samsung’s native apps.
- Choose the files you want to move to Secure Folder.
- Tap the icon with three vertical dots.
- Select the “Move to Secure Folder” option.
- Log in to the app to finish the process.
To secure your apps, follow these steps:
- Open the Samsung Secure Folder app.
- Select the “Add apps” option.
- Select the apps from the list or find them via the search box.
- Tap “Add,” and you’re done.
Adding an app already on your phone essentially creates another copy of the app on your device with its cache and stored files. For example, if you duplicate a messaging app such as WhatsApp or Telegram, you can log in to a different account within your Secure Folder. These apps retain their history and cache even after exiting the Secure Folder.
But, if you add an app from the Galaxy Store or the Play Store, it becomes available only on your Secure Folder. It won’t create a copy in your primary list of apps. This is useful for apps you do not want to be visible on the home page or while scrolling through your drawer.
Also read: Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra vs Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
How To Back Up And Restore Samsung Secure Folder Data
- Open the settings menu on your device.
- Choose the “Backup and restore” option.
- Select “Back up Secure Folder data” or “Restore.”
- Select the data you want to back up or restore (photos, apps, documents, etc.).
- Tap Back up now or Restore now to finish the process.
To delete a backup you’ve made, go to Settings > Backup and restore > Delete Secure Folder backup data, select the backup you want to get rid of, and tap Delete.
How To Hide Samsung Secure Folder On Your Device
You can hide the Samsung Secure Folder app on your device for safety. All you have to do is sign into the app, open the settings via the menu icon, the three vertical dots, and turn off the Show Secure Folder option. After that, the app will leave the app drawer and your home screen, but it won’t be deleted from the device. You can also hide the app by dragging down the quick panel and tapping the Secure Folder icon.
How has this article helped you? Let’s know in the comments.